Tesla vehicles uses 3 phase Four pole Induction Motor. These are the reasons for using it.
Written Dec 19, 2018
- Induction motors especially 3 phase are rugged and reliable.
- 3 phase Induction Motors are highly efficient and have low weight/kW power requirement.
- 3 phase Induction motors are self starting unlike gasoline engines where a separate DC motor is required for initial crank.
- Most importantly with the help of VVVFD drives, these motors have efficient start with low current and high starting torque.
- Induction motors are efficient in terms of braking also. Regenerative braking is an inherent property where the motor can return electric power back to the supply during Electrical braking.
- Speed regulation of an induction motor is quite good. Also the speed of the motor can be easily controlled by just varying frequency.